The Vermont Backyard Woods Course is designed for homeowners with less than 25 acres who want to learn more about the woods in their backyard: what’s in it, who (wildlife) uses it, and how they can become better caretakers of it.
The course explores the following themes: An Introduction to Your Backyard and Beyond; Getting to Know Your Woods; Backyard Woods Projects; Developing a Backyard Woods Action Plan.
About the Course
- This is an introductory course, designed to give landowners basic tools and skills.
- The self-paced course is hosted online and is composed of 4 sections. Each section has videos and activities that are to be completed on your own schedule.
- Participants will be invited to join one of the in-person field walks located around the state.
- Check out the Backyard Woods Program topics here.
Who should join this course?
- Homeowners who own 5-25 acres.
- Homeowners who want to become more active stewards of their land, but don't know where to start.
- Homeowners who want to learn general ecology in Vermont.
By the end of the program participants will:
- Understand why their backyard woods matter, the benefits it provides, and how it contributes to Vermont’s forest landscape.
- Identify natural history and cultural features in their backyard woods.
- Identify and rank stewardship goals and objectives for their property.
- Develop a stewardship action plan with a project schedule and plan for implementing stewardship activities.
- Increase awareness and connection to resources and organizations available to assist landowners in post-course activities.
Fall 2019 Course
Schedule & Times
- This online course is self-paced and all activities are to be completed on your own schedule during the course, with the exception of the field walks.
- The course schedule is intended to keep you on track to complete the course in 6 weeks. This flexibility allows you to complete all activities and watch videos when you have time each week.
- You can expect to spend 1.5-3 hours each week on the course.
Participants are invited to join one of the following walks:
- October 5, 1-3pm: Barnard, VT (Windsor County)
- October 12, 10am-12pm: South Hero, VT (Franklin County)
- October 19, 10am-12pm: Derby, VT (Orleans County)
- October 20, 1-3pm: Chittenden, VT (Rutland County)
- November 2, 10am-12pm: Colchester, VT (Chittenden County)
The course costs $30 per family, before September 22, or $40 (on Sept. 23 or afterwards). You can pay by credit card or check at the link below.
Gwen Kozlowski, email@example.com or 802-651-8343, ext 506.
To request a disability-related accommodation to participate in this program, please contact Gwen Kozlowski, firstname.lastname@example.org, at 802-651-8343 or 1-800-571-0668, by September 9, 2019, so we may assist you.
The Vermont Backyard Woods Program is a collaborative effort between UVM Extension, VT Department Forests, Parks and Recreation, Vermont Fish and Wildlife, Vermont Woodlands Association, VT Coverts, and VT Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS).
Want to share information about this program? Share this poster!