The Arbor Day Foundation coordinates a series of national recognition programs that honor the commitment to tree stewardship, arboriculture, education, and outreach. Learn more about each program below.
Tree City USA
The Tree City USA program provides communities with a four-step framework to maintain and grow their tree cover. It also gives them an avenue to celebrate their work, showing residents, visitors, and the entire country that they’re committed to the mission of environmental change. Communities must meet the following standards:
- Maintain a tree board or department
- Have a community tree ordinance
- Spend at least $2 per capita on urban forestry
- Celebrate Arbor Day
View Vermont's 2021 Tree City USA SUmmary
Learn more about Tree City USA program at the Arbor Day Foundation.
2022 Vermont Tree City USA Designees
- City of Burlington (29 years)
- Town of Essex (1 year)
- Village of Essex Junction (8 years)
- Town of Hartford (20 years)
- Town of Middlebury (5 years)
- City of Montpelier (21 years)
- City of Rutland (31 years)
- City of South Burlington (15 years)
- Town of Shelburne (6 years)
- City of Winooski (4 years)
Tree Campus Higher Education
Tree Campus Higher Education recognizes two- and four-year accredited institutions of higher education across the country that commit to a healthy campus tree population and student involvement in tree stewardship.
- Middlebury College (12 years)
- St. Michael's College (2 years)
Learn more about Tree Campus USA from the Arbor Day Foundation.
Tree Line USA
Tree Line USA recognizes best practices in public and private utility arboriculture, demonstrating how trees and utilities can co-exist for the benefit of communities and citizens.
- Vermont Electric Power Company, Inc. (VELCO) (16 years)
Learn more about Tree Line USA from the Arbor Day Foundation.
Tree Campus K-12
Tree Campus K-12 inspires collaboration between schools, students, and communities to facilitate experiences with trees as a learning tool. The program encourages schools and educators to create purposeful opportunities for students to interact with trees by offering resources as well as a framework for becoming recognized and celebrating their efforts with their community.
- Shelburne Community School (1 year)
Learn more about Tree Campus K-12 from the Arbor Day Foundation.
Tree Campus Healthcare
Tree Campus Healthcare recognizes health institutions that make a mission-aligned impact on community wellness through tree education, investment, and community engagement.
Learn more about Tree Campus Healthcare from the Arbor Day Foundation.