This Guide is intended as a springboard for action; as such, it can be read in its entirety or in sections as needed. It describes a linear process of Green Street design and build, from envisioning, to planning, to design, to maintenance, and to monitoring.
The Guide includes:
- Planning considerations to advance Green Street design along streets and in parking lots.
- Guidelines for selecting the appropriate application for the right site.
- Implementation and maintenance strategies that make Green Street design more achievable.
- Examples of Green Streets throughout the state, highlighting their successes and challenges.
Download or Watch to the Guide by Section
Section 2: The Benefits of Green Streets PDF or YouTube Video
Section 3: Planning for Green Streets and Parking Lots PDF or YouTube Video
Section 4: Green Street Design Principles PDF or YouTube Video
Section 5: Design Considerations: Physical & Environmental PDF or YouTube Video
Section 6: Green Stormwater Management Tools PDF or YouTube Video
Section 7: Green Street and Green Parking Lots Examples PDF or YouTube Video
Section 8: Plant Selection Considerations PDF or YouTube Video
Section 9: Implementing Green Streets PDF or YouTube Video
Section 10: Maintaining Green Streets PDF or YouTube Video
Section 11: Case Studies PDF
We are grateful to the funders who made this project possible. Notably, the State of Vermont Clean Water Initiative, the USDA Forest Service, and the Lake Champlain Basin Program.
- Vermont Guide to Stormwater Management for Homeowners and Small Businesses
- Vermont Green Infrastructure Toolkit
- Vermont Stormwater Management Manual
- Vermont Rain Garden Manual
- Vermont Tree Selection Guide
- Landscape Guide for Vermont Roadways & Transportation Facilities
- Complete Streets: A Guide for Vermont Communities
- Design Toolkit for Designated Downtowns and Village Centers