This Guide is intended as a springboard for action; as such, it can be read in its entirety or in sections as needed. It describes a linear process of Green Street design and build, from envisioning, to planning, to design, to maintenance, and to monitoring.
The Guide includes:
- Planning considerations to advance Green Street design along streets and in parking lots.
- Guidelines for selecting the appropriate application for the right site.
- Implementation and maintenance strategies that make Green Street design more achievable.
- Examples of Green Streets throughout the state, highlighting their successes and challenges.
Download the Guide by Section
Section 2: The Benefits of Green Streets
Section 3: Planning for Green Streets and Parking Lots
Section 4: Green Street Design Principles
Section 5: Design Considerations: Physical & Environmental
Section 6: Green Stormwater Management Tools
Section 7: Green Street and Green Parking Lots Examples
Section 8: Plant Selection Considerations
Section 9: Implementing Green Streets
Section 10: Maintaining Green Streets
Section 11: Case Studies
We are grateful to the funders who made this project possible. Notably, the State of Vermont Clean Water Initiative, the USDA Forest Service, and the Lake Champlain Basin Program.
- Vermont Guide to Stormwater Management for Homeowners and Small Businesses
- Vermont Green Infrastructure Toolkit
- Vermont Stormwater Management Manual
- Vermont Rain Garden Manual
- Vermont Tree Selection Guide (Update in progress)
- Landscape Guide for Vermont Roadways & Transportation Facilities
- Complete Streets: A Guide for Vermont Communities
- Design Toolkit for Designated Downtowns and Village Centers