Community Caring for Canopy Grants act as seed funding to help communities care for their publicly managed trees and forests by taking the necessary actions to developing and sustaining a community-wide tree program. These grants allow for multiple program components (e.g. tree planting, tree maintenance, tree inventory, plan development, emerald ash borer preparedness, public outreach, and program development) to be merged into one grant application for ease and flexibility.
Unfortunately we will not be offering a 2021 Caring for Canopy Grants Program. Stay tuned for 2022 info!
2020 Communities Caring for Canopy Grants
$25,000 in cost-share grants are available for 2020. The minimum funding for proposals is $1,000 and the maximum funding for proposals is $5,000. These funds will be distributed through a competitive grant review and selection process.
Eligible Project Components
Projects must relate to urban and community forestry in publicly managed spaces, take place in Vermont, and may consist of one or more of the following program components:
- Tree planting
- Tree maintenance
- Tree inventory
- Plan development
- Emerald ash borer preparedness
- Public outreach
- Program development and staff or tree warden training
For more information or assistance, contact the VT UCF staff listed below.
- Grant Application Questions: Elise Schadler, (802) 522-6015 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Project Development Questions: Joanne Garton, (802) 259-4217 or email@example.com
- Grant Submission Questions: Jenny Lauer, Administrative Assistant, (802) 828-1531 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Learn about & look up your D-U-N-S number
- Sample State of Vermont Grant Agreement
- Emerald Ash Borer Management
- Emerald Ash Borer in Vermont
- Vermont Tree Selection Tool
- Cornell: Recommended Urban Trees
- Right Tree Right Place
- Planning to Purchase a Tree: Tree Planting and Establishment
- Protecting Your Investment
- Pruning Young Trees
- Pruning Mature Trees
- Trees and Stormwater
- Vermont Green Streets Guide
- Main Streets to Green Streets