Core Standards of the Tree Line USA Program
- Quality Tree Care: Following industry standards for pruning, planting, removals, trenching, and tunneling near trees.
- Annual Worker Training: Utility employees and contract workers are trained, at least annually, in best practices.
- Tree Planting and Public Education: Tree planting and public education programs are available to the public and paying customers; demonstrating proper tree planting, placement, and pruning while expanding the tree canopy in the community.
- Tree-Based Energy Conservation Program: A formal tree-based energy conservation program is in place, putting special consideration on the value of trees in conserving energy.
- Arbor Day Celebration: Sponsorship of or participation in annual Arbor Day events at the community level are documented, including collaboration with community groups whenever possible.
Vermont Electric Power Company, Inc. (VELCO) is the sole utility in Vermont that has received the Tree Line USA designation. VELCO has been a Tree Line USA company for 12 years.