Do you own less than 25 acres and are interested in learning more about your woods?
Do you want to become a more active steward of your woods?
Then you may be interested in the Backyard Woods Program.
The Vermont Backyard Woods Program is a six-week online program that, using a combination of video's, webinars, discussion forums, and weekly activities, explores the following themes:
- An Introduction to Your Backyard and Beyond
- Getting to Know Your Woods
- Backyard Woods Projects
- Developing a Backyard Woods Action Plan
By the end of the program participants will:
- Understand why their backyard woods matter, the benefits it provides, and how it contributes to Vermont’s forest landscape.
- Identify natural history and cultural features in their backyard woods.
- Identify and rank stewardship goals and objectives for their property.
- Develop a stewardship action plan with a project schedule and plan for implementing stewardship activities.
- Increase awareness and connection to resources and organizations available to assist landowners in post-course activities.
Fall 2017 Backyard Woods Course
- The online course will begin the week of September 18 and run through the week of October 23.
- Participants will also be invited to a Backyard Woods Field Day:
- Saturday, October 14, 9-12pm- Sterling College, Craftsbury
- Saturday, October 14, 9-12pm- Enosburgh
- Saturday, October 21, 9-12pm- Mobbs Farm Town Forest, Jericho
- Saturday, October 21, 9-12pm- Marsh Billings Rockefeller National Historical Park, Woodstock
- This course is composed of 4 online modules.
- Each module has videos, webinars and activities.
- Modules will be made available and you will complete all of the associated activities on your own schedule for the duration of the course.
Questions? Contact Gwen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-651-8343, ext 506.
The course is currently full. If you would like to register, please email Gwen at email@example.com or call at 802-651-8343, ext 506.
To request a disability-related accommodation to participate, please contact Gwen Kozlowski at 802-651-8343 or 1-800-571-0668 ext. 506, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, by September 1, 2017 so we may assist you.
The Vermont Backyard Woods Program is a collaborative effort between UVM Extension, VT Department Forests, Parks and Recreation, Vermont Fish and Wildlife, Vermont Woodlands Association, VT Coverts, and VT Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS).