Do you own less than 25 acres? Are you interested in learning more about your woods?
Do you want to become a more active steward of your woods?
Then you may be interested in the Backyard Woods Program.
The Vermont Backyard Woods Program is a six-week online program that, using a combination of video's, webinars, discussion forums and weekly activities, explores the following themes:
- An Introduction to Your Backyard and Beyond
- Getting to Know Your Woods
- Backyard Woods Projects
- Developing a Backyard Woods Action Plan
By the end of the program participants will:
- Understand why their backyard woods matters, the benefits it provides, and how it contributes to Vermont’s forest landscape.
- Identify natural history and cultural features in their backyard woods.
- Identify and rank stewardship goals and objectives for their property.
- Develop a stewardship action plan with a project schedule and plan for implementing stewardship activities.
- Increase awareness and connection to resources and organizations available to assist landowners in post-course activities.
Next Course Offering
The online course will begin the week of February 19th and run through the week of March 27th. Participants will also be invited to a Backyard Woods Field Day on Saturday, April 1st. The course is limited to residents of Windsor and Windham Counties. We do plan to offer the course in additional counties in the future.
Questions? Contact Gwen at email@example.com or 802-651-8343, ext 506.
The course costs $50, which includes a course manual, a tree identification book, and a hands-on session. Registration deadline is February 13th. Register here!
The Vermont Backyard Woods Program is a collaborative effort between UVM Extension, VT Department Forests, Parks and Recreation, Vermont Fish and Wildlife, Vermont Woodlands Association, VT Coverts, and VT Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS).